The barbell hack squat is an effective gym exercise that helps in building strength by improving the quad size. Barbell hack squats are more beneficial than the regular squats in the way that they give the option of training your thigh muscles by limiting excessive development of the hips.
Hack Squat with Barbell Benefits
The bb hack squat does not offer much resistance or load on the shoulders and back muscles as the conventional squats minimizing strain on your spine. However, it stresses the quads, helping you to develop the rounded/sweep look that is hard to achieve with other strength-building exercises.
Barbell Hack Squat Quick Information
|Muscles Used||Spinal erectors, traps, gluteus maximus, calves, forearms|
|Variations/Other Forms||Beginners lacking the flexibility to do this exercise can use a small box and slightly elevate their heels on it|
|Alternative Exercises||Weighted sissy squat, hack squat, front barbell squat|
Video: How to do the Proper Form of a Barbell Hack Squat
Barbell Hack Squat Technique
- Load up an Olympic bar with the desired weight. While grasping the barbell behind you, stand up straight.
- Keep the barbell at arm’s length, your feet shoulder-width apart, eyes facing forward, head and back straight. This will be the starting position.
- Slowly squat down until the thighs are almost parallel to the ground.
- Go back to your starting position by pushing through the heels and squeezing your thighs.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Barbell Hack Squat Tips
- While holding the barbell, use a shoulder-width grip with your palms facing back. Wrist wraps will help you to have a better grip.
- To avoid having a rounded lower back, do not look down when you are at the starting position.
- Make sure that you are not extending your neck beyond the normal limits.