What is a Smith Machine Military Press
The Smith machine military press or Smith machine shoulder press is a strength gaining gym exercise that promotes muscle growth throughout your entire shoulder region. Performed by novice gym goers and professional weightlifters alike, this form of military press helps beginners to lift heavy weights.
Smith Machine Shoulder Press Benefits
- As compared to other free weight shoulder presses, including the barbell and dumbbell military press, the Smith machine variation keeps your muscles under constant tension by employing a fixed plane of movement.
- It is safer and less strenuous on your joints than free weight training, provided that you perform the movement with proper technique.
Smith Machine Military Press Exercise Information
|Other Names||Smith Machine Overhead Press, Seated Military Press on Smith Machine|
|Equipment Needed||Smith machine|
|Muscles Worked||Primary: Shoulders; Secondary: Triceps|
|Alternative Forms/Substitute||Barbell Military Press, Dumbbell Military Press|
How to Smith Machine Military Press
- Start by placing a flat bench, preferably with back support, below a Smith machine. Adjust the height of the barbell so that your arms fully extend to reach it while you are in the seated position on the bench.
- Once you have positioned the bar at the appropriate height, sit down slightly behind it so that it comes down just in front of your nose tip. Keep your feet stationary and hold the barbell with your palms facing forward.
- Unlock the bar and press it overhead so that you can fully extend your arms. It is the initial position.
- Slowly lower the bar until it is at the same level with the chin.
- Use your shoulders to lift the barbell up and return to your initial position.
- Repeat the steps to perform the required number of reps.
Seated Military Press on Smith Machine Tips
- Avoid leaning your head back. Push through your arms to lift the bar up.
- Warm up before you start the exercise, as it will lessen the stress on your shoulder muscles.
- Lowering the bar to the level of your chin will help in completing a long range of motion.