Usain St. Leo Bolt, nicknamed the Lightning Bolt, is a 6-time Olympic gold winner who has been regarded as the greatest sprinter in the history of Olympic Games. The 29-year-old Jamaican sprinter is not just known for his record-breaking speeds but also has one of the best physiques on the planet. Boasting an incredible maximum speed of 27.79mph Bolt is the current world record holder in both the 100m and 200m events with results of 9.58secs and 19.19secs respectively.
According to Usain, anyone can run at such staggering speeds. But, you need to follow his rigorous training and diet regimen to build stability and enhance strength.
Usain Bolt Training Program
The champion sprinter spends 90 minutes in the gym every day doing workouts that are geared toward improving his speed and agility while maintaining an athletic body. He concentrates on core-centric exercises to condition his weak core muscles. Moreover, these exercises help in enhancing muscle strength and explosiveness, as well as increasing the flexibility to stretch the stride.
- Leg Raises (sets: 3, rest: 30secs)
- Side Sweeps (3 sets with 30secs rest)
- Reverse Crunches (sets: 3, rest: 30secs)
- Side Plank Clams (3 sets with 30secs rest)
- Bunny Hops (sets: 5, reps: 20)
- Box Jumps (sets: 4, reps: 8)
- Bounding (sets: 3, reps: 10)
- Cable Knee Drives (sets: 3, reps: 10)
- Hanging Leg Raises (sets: 3, reps: 10)
Usain Bolt Weight Training
- Box Jump with Medicine Ball Slam (sets: 4, reps: 5)
- Good Morning (sets: 4, reps: 8)
- Barbell Lunge (sets: 3, reps: 10)
- Sled Push (sets: 3, reps: 20)
- Barbell Landmine Exercises (sets: 3, reps: 20)
- Power Clean (sets: 5, reps: 3)
- Explosive Barbell Step-Ups (sets: 4, reps: 6-8)
- Romanian Deadlift (sets: 4, reps: 10)
- Sled Drag (sets: 3, reps: 20)
- Barbell Ab Rollout (sets: 3, reps: 10)
Usain Bolt Training Video
Usain Bolt Speed Training
To train for 100m sprint races, Usain Bolt divides the speed into four phases involving the following drills:
- Starting Blocks: 10X2 point start for 10-20 m (rest: 2mins), 6X3 point start for 10-20 m (rest: 3mins), 4X2 block starts for 10-30 m (rest: 5mins)
- Acceleration: 10X20 m with weight vest (4mins recovery), 5X15 m 2-point start using weight sleds (5mins recovery)
- Top End Speed: 5X30 m acceleration, 75 percent speed for 15-20 m, sprint for 10-15 m (rest: 4-5mins)
- Deceleration: 2X100 m (2-3 reps), 95 percent of 200m pace (rest: 2-3mins between reps, 5-8mins between sets)
Usain Bolt Body Stats
- Height: 6’5” (195 cm)
- Weight: 207 lb (94 kg)
- Chest: 41”
- Waist: 33”
- Biceps: 15.5”
Usain Bolt Diet Plan
Since the Jamaican gold-medalist loves having chicken wings and nuggets, his personal chef makes sure that Usain’s body remains toned and athletic. His diet comprises yam, a superfood that helps boost energy and fights muscle inflammation. Moreover, he tries to restrain himself from giving way to his fast-food habits. His typical daily meal is given below
- Breakfast: A Jamaican dish containing Ackee, saltfish, yellow yam, potato, and cooked banana
- Lunch: Chicken breast, pasta
- Dinner: Rice with peas, pork
Usain Bolt Training Tips
- To make the first part of a sprint race your strongest element, you should start out of the track blocks quickly.
- Weight training is necessary because you need to develop the power to do well on the track.
- A strong core is important for sprinting.
- Do not rush to get to the top speed. Start out by leaning forward, hold the drive phase for 20-30 meters, and then accelerate gradually.