What is a Plank with Leg Lift
Development of core strength while improving stability is perhaps the primary objective of every fitness enthusiast. Whether you are a pro athlete or an average gym-goer, you should focus on performing core-strengthening workouts like plank with leg lifts for improving your body’s mobility, flexibility, and stability. As a multi-functional exercise, the plank leg lift targets not just your core but also the spine and hip.
Plank with Leg Lifts Benefits
- It is a full-body exercise that does not require any gym equipment and can be done
- Aside from strengthening your abs, plank leg lift helps in toning your whole body and improving your posture.
- It helps in reducing body fat and boosting your metabolism.
Plank with Leg Lift Exercise Information
|Other Names||Plank Leg Raise|
|Equipment Needed||Body weight only|
|Muscles Worked||Primary: Abs; Secondary: Hips, back, shoulders|
|Alternative Forms/Substitute||General Plank, Forearm Plank with Leg Lifts|
|Variations||Side Plank Leg Lift|
How to do Plank with Leg Lifts
- Start by assuming a pushup position and keep your hands at a shoulder-width Make sure that your shoulders, hips, and the ankles line up together. It is your initial position.
- Brace your abs and raise the right leg off the floor until it is at your hip height. Pause for a second or two before lowering your leg to the original position.
- Now lift your left leg and follow the same steps.
- Do the desired number of reps.
Forearm Plank with Leg Lifts
It is performed the same way as the normal plank leg lifts except that your body rests on the forearms instead of the hands. Keep your elbows bent directly under your shoulders.
Side Plank with Leg Lift
- Lie on your right side and position the side of your right foot as well as your bottom elbow on the ground.
- Slowly lift your hips so that your shoulders, ankles, and hips are in line. It is your starting position.
- Now brace your core and keep your torso stable. Lift your top leg and avoid bending your knee. Also, make sure that you do not drop your hips.
- Return to the initial position.
- Do the desired number of sets and reps on each side.
Plank Leg Raise Tips
- Do not perform the exercise with a rounded back.
- Maintain stability by squeezing your core muscles and glutes throughout the entire movement.
- When doing the general plank leg lift, do not rotate the torso to your side while lifting your leg.