What is a Dumbbell Push Press
The dumbbell push press or dumbbell squat push press is a compound exercise that targets your shoulder and triceps and helps in increasing strength throughout your entire body. It uses a dip and drive through your legs, generating force through your lower body before transmitting it to your torso.
- It helps improve your balance and stability while building explosive body power.
- Using dumbbells assists in reducing stress on your shoulders.
Dumbbell Push Press Exercise Information
||Standing Dumbbell Push Press
||Primary: Shoulders; Secondary: Legs, glutes, abs
||Barbell Push Press, Kettlebell Push Press
||Single Arm/One Arm Dumbbell Push Press
How to do Dumbbell Push Press
- Grabbing a dumbbell in each hand in front of the chest with the palms of your hands facing away from the body, stand straight with the feet spaced at shoulder width. It is your initial position.
- Keeping your heels flat, shoulders back, and chest up, bring the knees forward and squat down slightly.
- As you stand up, press the weights overhead excessively until you lock your arms.
- Brace your core and gradually bring the dumbbells back to your initial position.
One Arm Dumbbell Push Press
It is done in the same way as the two-arm standing dumbbell push press, but the dumbbell is pressed with one hand at a time.
- You should use the leg drive from the squat to assist in propelling the dumbbells overhea.
- Avoid overextending your lower back in the lockout position.
- Make sure to keep your head stationary throughout the movement.
Video: Two Arm Dumbbell Push Press